Advanced Computer Networks
Wednesday 11:00 - 12:30, 13:30 - 15:00
The past few years have seen a remarkable growth in the global network infrastructure. The Internet has grown from a research curiosity to something we all take for granted.
How does this network infrastructure work? What are the design principles upon which it is based, and how are those principles applied in practice? How can we make the Internet work better today? We will examine these issues and more during the course.
This course assumes a basic familiarity with networking concepts. The course will consist of a reading/lecture/discussion component and a project component. The class will cover approximately 50 research papers on various aspects of computer networking. These papers will introduce students to the basic design principles on which today's networks are based. In addition, these papers will cover recent proposals to improve network performance, functionality and scalability.
Prerequisite: Computer Networks
This course is based on some other courses
Grading policy is as follows (tentatively):
- We will have an extra class at 2:45 PM from Aban 30 till Azar 14 to cover holidays.
- Quiz 1, Azar 7, topics: S1, S2, S3, and related main manuscripts.
- Midterm, Azar 28, 11:00 AM, topics: S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, and related main manuscripts.
- Quiz 2, Dey 12, topics: S10 and related main manuscripts.
- Final, Dey 18, 4:00 PM, topics: S8, S9, S10, S11, and related main manuscripts.
- Watch this
on scientific ethics made by Dr. Kiarash Bazargan.
It is cached at here,
- Assignment 1: OpenFlow
- Available: Azar 7 [PDF]
- Deadlines: Phase 1: Azar 28, Phase 2: Dey 6
- Assignment 2: TCP
- Available: Dey 5 [PDF]
- Deadline: Dey 12
This is a tentative class schedule
- 11:00 AM -- Introduction, history, layering, and models
- 1:30 PM -- Routing background review
- 2:45 PM -- Router Design (continuation)
- 4:15 PM -- Router Design (continuation)
- 2:45 PM -- Software Forwarding (continuation)
- 4:15 PM -- Evolving the Data Plane
[Main manuscripts: P4, ActiveNetworks]
[Optional manuscripts: XIA, ESM]
- 11:00 AM -- Evolving the Data Plane (continuation)
- 1:30 PM -- Evolving the Data Plane (continuation)
- 11:00 AM -- Review class for Midterm
[S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7]
- 1:30 PM -- Review class for Midterm (continuation)
- 2:00 PM -- <Midterm>
- 4:00 PM -- Post Midterm Session